Saturday, July 6, 2013

Parker the Bass Player

Before I begin with this story that I know you can't wait to hear, I just want to apologize for not blogging for 3 months.  It's been stressful.  But that will have to be a later blog post, I guess.  For now, please don't judge me that I'm telling you a story that happened in December.

Okay, boys and girls, it's story time!

So gather round, and get cozy, because this is a good one.

A long, long time ago (but not really, it was just in August) I joined the Mapleton Chorale.  It's an auditioned community choir that has quite an awesome reputation, thanks to our director, Cory Mendenhall.   We worked hard all semester, and on December 8th we had a concert with the Murray Symphony.

I was standing on the risers, singing "And we need a little Christmas, right this very minute..." for the 231, 954th time, when I look over and I see a very attractive young man playing the bass.

So naturally, I'm looking at him for most of our rehearsal, and our concert as well.

Intermission time comes.  And it's 8:00.  For those of you who don't know, this is the time that 8:00 Jen emerges.  And 8:00 Jen doesn't have as many inhibitions.  She's willing to do some crazy things.

So, I mentioned to my best friend, Heather, how I think the bass player is cute.  We jokingly started coming up with and writing cheesy pick up lines for him on little pieces of paper, along with my phone number.  Here are some of the gems we came up with:

"You pluck at my heartstrings."

"You have a nice bass."
(Yes, I actually wrote that... can you believe it?)

"Meet me under the mistletoe."
(This one had my phone number along with my first name.  We don't want any Facebook stalking, now do we?)

All of a sudden, the situation went from a hypothetical situation to an actual, real-life situation.  I'm sitting there with all of these pick up lines in my hands, and we decide that it would be funny if we left these on his stand during intermission.  We noticed that he was sharing a stand with another male bass player, and not wanting them to be confused, I decided to put it on his stool.

So intermission comes, and the bass player isn't leaving!  I was all prepped to put the notes on his chair, and he wasn't stinking leaving!  I was just about to give up hope, when he stood up and walked away.  And, as fate would have it, his stand partner was faced the opposite way.  So before I could second guess myself, I ran out, but the notes down, and jetted out of there.

Heather and I couldn't stop giggling, and after intermission, when we went onstage to sing again, I kept looking at him, trying to decide if he looked a little happier, perkier, more confused... but no, he just played his bass like a boss.

So, naturally, I ran out of the school as soon as the concert ended, so I wouldn't run into him.  Because I just know that if he would have seen me, he would have known it was me.

That night I went to my friend's house, and played games and just hung out.  My phone was in my coat pocket the whole time, so at 1:00 in the morning, when we were getting our stuff to go home, I notice I have a missed call from a number I didn't know.

And there was a voicemail.

I started freaking out, naturally, and listened to the voicemail probably 3 times before I realized what he said.  Here's a transcript for your reading pleasure:

"Hi, this message is for Jen....?  Uh, Jen, this is Parker ******.  You left me your number at a concert this evening.  And, unless you left a bunch of guys your number, I think you probably know who I am.  But I, um, that means you have an advantage here.  Because now you have my number.  So you'll have to call me back sometime, if you'd like.  In case you don't have it **********.  Again **********.  And I'm just looking forward to finding out who you are!  K, see you then, bye."

*Last name and phone number have been removed to protect the privacy of said bass player.

Yeah, so I couldn't call him back at 1:00 in the morning, so I just freaked out about it until the next day.  I called him and didn't get an answer.  So I left a message, that I'm sure was very witty and flirtatious.

The next day he called me, and don't you know it, but I was actually next to my phone!  So I answered, and we talked for about 10 or 15 minutes.  He tried to figure out who I was and if we made any contact at the concert.  I told him no, that I just saw him, thought he was cute, left the notes, then avoided him like the plague.

He also told me that I must be a ninja, because he only left his seat at intermission for 2 minutes, and his stand partner didn't see a thing. (Success!)

So after we chatted and learned more about each other, he asked me if I wanted to get together with him, and do something in the next couple of weeks.  Of course I said yes, and he said he'd give me a call sometime.

But true to a guy's word, he never called back.  It wasn't disappointing or anything, because I barely even knew the guy.  And while I'd never say no to a date with an attractive guy, to quote from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, "You can't lose something you never had."

So while I didn't get a boyfriend, or even a date, out of this escapade, I did get something great out of it.

An awesome story.

1 comment: