Friday, March 9, 2012

A Sticky Situation

I have got my mornings down to a T.  I know exactly what time I have to get up in order to be right on time for work in the morning.  This includes grabbing breakfast and eating it in the car.  (You don't think I would sacrifice my precious sleep for time to sit down and eat breakfast, do you?)  My cousins came up from Arizona a few weeks ago and brought tons of delicious citrus for us to enjoy, so lately my breakfast has consisted of a scrumptious, juicy orange.  

I haven't had problems with peeling and eating my orange while driving.  I had figured out how to peel it without getting juice all over my clothes.  But for some reason, fate was against me today.

I tried to start peeling my orange (which is always the worst part...) and it was a little harder than usual.  I kept peeling the orange, and the juice was getting all over the place.  I mean, this orange was super juicy.  I was trying to keep it from getting all over my white shirt that I wore today, but the juice was getting all over my hands, steering wheel, and gear shift.  After giving my hands an orange juice bath, and still not having my orange even half way peeling, I decided to ditch breakfast for today.  But I still had the problem of having sticky hands and a 30 minute drive.  I grabbed my water bottle and started trying to pour a little bit of water on my hands while driving, but can you believe it?  It wasn't working.  I was getting more water on my seat than on my hands.  Not to mention that I maybe wasn't being the safest driver while doing so.

What to do, what to do?  I could pull over to the side of the road and properly use my water bottle to fix the problem, but with all the construction, it's hard to find a pull-out on the freeway.  And remember, I plan my mornings down to the second, so pulling over, washing my hands, and trying to get back on the freeway would make me late for work.

Revelation:  I remembered I just put some hand sanitizer in my purse the night before!  One of my students had given it to me for Christmas, and I just barely put it in there!  My prayers were answered!  I pulled it out and put some on my hands, but I noticed it's a little thick... and it's turning my hands white...  I looked at the label, and read "Antibacterial Hand Soap."  Really?  They make hand soap that comes in 1.5 ounce bottles?  For what purpose?  So now, I have sticky, soapy hands, and no idea what to do.

So instead of being a normal person and pulling over to the side of the road, I come up with a better way to use my water bottle to wash it all off.  I have a camelback water bottle, so I dipped my lid in my water bottle, pulled it out, and squeezed (squoze?) the mouth piece so a controlled amount of water would come out on my hands.  The soap on my hands started lathering up a lot more than I thought they would, but after a few trial periods, I finally mastered the technique, and my hands were juice and soap free.  Although I can't say the same about my steering wheel and gear shift.

The good news?  I got to work on time with my clothes juice free.

And at lunch I successfully ate an orange like a 23 year old adult instead of a 23 month old baby.
It's all about the small successes.

1 comment: