Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I've Always Wanted to Use That Spell!

After reading all 7 books, and watching all 7 movies, I was finally ready for the last installment of the Harry Potter series. I went to the midnight premier with the siblings and some friends, and then I saw it two times after that.

And I bawled my eyes out each time.

It was absolutely amazing, and they couldn't have done any better on it. Here are my top 10 favorite parts (in no particular order):

(Oh ya, if you haven't seen the movie yet, shame on you, but you might not want to read this, as it gives major spoilers away... okay, that's all.)

1. Neville

Neville was the best in this movie. For one, Matthew Lewis has turned into a super cutie, so it was great to watch him on a massive screen.
And Neville is the man. I mean, he took out hundreds of death eaters, stood up to Lord Voldemort himself, and destroyed the last Horcrux. How can you not love him?

2. Professor McGonagall

Professor McGonagall has never been one of my favorite characters in the book, but in this movie, Maggie Smith was brilliant. Actually, brilliant doesn't even begin to describe it. She was powerful, funny, and even made me get a little teary eyed when she protected Harry from Snape.

3. Snape's Memories

Oh man, I could not have cried harder when Snape found Lily after the attack, with Baby Harry crying in the background. Alan Rickman did an outstanding job, and he's one of the few characters I think they got absolutely right for the part.

4. Harry's walk in the forest

Okay, this part makes me cry like no other in the book. It's maybe my favorite scene from any book I've ever read, so the movie had a lot of expectations to live up to. And it was perfect. They didn't mess with the lines, and Harry -er, I mean, Daniel- played the part with perfection. I cried just as hard.

5. Ron and Hermione's kiss

This is one instance where they changed the scene from the book, but I loved it just as much. Their laugh at the end of the kiss just makes it perfect.

6. Hermione as Bellatrix

Helena Bonham Carter was so funny as Hermione. She did an outstanding job, and for some reason, I get a kick out of watching Ron and Harry hold Bellatrix's hand when they're about to Apparate.

7. The music!

Alright, I want you to just listen to this song. Alexandre Desplat perfectly captured the tone of the book and put it into music. It's brilliant.



8. Snape's Death

Severus Snape is one of the most interesting characters I've ever read. And I absolutely love him (except when he is terribly rude to Hermione in the 4th book... there was no reason for that). Of course I love how J.K. Rowling writes his death in the book, but I LOVE that in the movie they added the line "You have your mother's eyes". Can you guess what it made me do? That's right, CRY!

9. King's Cross

First off, I'm so happy they didn't release any of this video beforehand. I feel like with all the clips that were released before the movie came out, you could have put them together and watched the movie. But this part was left alone, which was great. Dumbledore was perfect in this scene. I loved how they made Harry look so whole and pure compared to Voldemort's maimed soul. Okay, that sounded cheesy, but what can ya do?

10. Fred's Death

Fred and George have always been favorite characters of mine in the books. I didn't love the actors until the 7th movie part one. Don't get me wrong, they were fine, but I never looked forward to seeing them on screen. In this movie, they were fantastic. The part where they look at each other and George asks Fred how he's doing... ah, so cute. And George's face when his brother is lying on the floor is heartbreaking.

So I think I used two words over and over again in this post, and that was perfect and brilliant. I think that sums it up quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment