Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ABC, Easy as 123

Okay, it's ridiculous how long it's been since I've last posted, but I have good reasons:

1) My laptop broke. Yes, I do have a desktop at home, but it just feels weird blogging on a different computer than my laptop. So, thanks to my brother's friend, I have a fully functioning laptop that I can now blog on.

2) I got a teaching job. Which means the only free time I have goes to sleeping and reading books.

So this year, I thought I would be substitute teaching. I had tried getting teaching jobs, but it was super hard, and I was not having any luck. So I signed up for substitute teaching, and told myself it was going to be great.

Well, it wasn't. Substituting is hard. I have to orient myself with the classroom and a full-day's worth of lessons in a half hour, then teach these kids I've never met before, who don't even care about following my directions. Every day I substituted I just wished for my own classroom.

Well, I had a few opportunities to try for a teaching job after school had started. The thought of trying to set up a classroom and catching up on teaching these kids at the same time made me want to throw up. So I immediately turned them down.

Then, I get a text from one of my good friends from BYU saying that there was a 2nd grade opening at her school, and she wanted to know if I wanted her to recommend me for the job. And for some odd reason, I heard myself saying yes.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, but it just felt right.

So that Monday I sent in my resume, Tuesday they called me for an interview, Wednesday I went to the school to teach a lesson and interview, Wednesday evening they told me I got the job, and Thursday I was in the classroom shadowing the teacher.

I had two days of shadowing and then the classroom was mine. Let me tell you, that first week was hard. It was hard getting the students to realize that I was now the teacher, and it didn't matter how Mrs. Norris used to do things.

It was hard to learn all of the different programs our school uses, and what they were supposed to look like in my classroom.

It was hard getting to know what worked and what didn't work for managing specific kids in my class.

But I was definitely blessed with some cuties in my class that made the past several weeks easy, and even sometimes fun. :)

This past week has been hard and upsetting, what with some parental issues, but it has also showed me that the principal I work for is very supportive and so are the other teachers. Some days I daydream about substituting, and being able to go home without worrying about my class. But I really am grateful for this job, and I have some great students in my class that make it worth coming to school every day.

1 comment:

  1. what I love the mostest about this is that the old teacher's name is Mrs. Norris.

    Of course her name had to do with Harry Potter...

    ReplyDelete