Monday, June 28, 2010

Do the Hospital Bed Crawl

To start out with, if you know the song that my post title belongs to, good for you. Give yourself a pat on the back.

If you don't, check out The Hush Sound. They're a great band.


Wow. If this past week has taught me anything, it is that life is full of surprises, and you never know what is going to come next.

Before we get into the actual story, I'll take you to a couple of days before all of the exciting stuff happened. I was reading in my scriptures in Mosiah 23: 20-22. Here's what it says:

And it came to pass that they did multiply and prosper exceedingly in the land of Helam...
...Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.
Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day. Yea, and thus it was with this people.

After I read that, I compared that to my life. I had been pretty stressed out lately thinking about jobs and being a teacher, but had really turned to the Lord to help me. I felt some peace in my life again, and as I read that, I wondered if I was given a trial if I would react the same way as these people did.

Well, I guess Heavenly Father was wondering the same thing.

On Wednesday, I woke up with an awful headache. I had a migraine about a year and a half ago, and I thought that's what this was. I took some Excedrin, but 30 minutes later it hadn't gone away. I called my mom, and she told me to take some prescription migraine medicine, which made my migraine go away last time. I took it, and it still didn't help. My head was hurting so bad that I just couldn't handle it.

So my mom came home early from work and took me to the doctor. Of course, by the time we got to the doctor my head was hurting less than it had all day. Well, the doctor did some tests, gave me a shot, and my headache was going away. I was extremely happy, and she gave us another shot just in case.

So I went home, and took a nap. Two hours later I woke up with my headache back with full force. My mom gave me the other shot, but it didn't do anything. Now it was time for the hospital.

When we got to the hospital, they put me on an IV (which I hate, it was almost worse than the headache) and gave me some medicine to make my headache go away. I started feeling a lot better. They told me I should also have a CT scan, just in case.

So they whisked me down the hall and gave me a CT scan, and then we had to wait for the results. This was the worst part of the hospital. My IV was bugging me to death, and the medicine they gave me was making me feel completely uncomfortable. Finally, the doctor came back and told us the news. They found something in my brain. Because it was a CT scan, they couldn't be sure about what it was, but he mentioned a few things it could be and one of them was a tumor.

Now, I should have felt scared to death right now. I could possibly have a brain tumor. But I was strangely calm. At the time I thought it might have been because of the drugs, but looking back, it was definitely Heavenly Father comforting me. I felt totally at peace, and I knew everything was going to be okay.

Well, then he said they were going to ship me off to Utah Valley Hospital to have an MRI. And he said they had to take me in an ambulance.

The ambulance came, and by now, I was feeling completely fine, which made for an awkward ride. They had to wheel me out in a stretcher, and I had to just lay there in the back with two guys who were about my age for fifteen minutes. I felt a little dumb.

Anyway, so I finally got to Utah Valley, and they wheeled me inside (and almost dropped me coming out of the ambulance). They took me into the ER, and I had to do some more waiting. While we were waiting for me to get the MRI, Richie and Jason came and gave me a blessing. It was awesome, and I'm so thankful for the priesthood. It was very comforting, and although it didn't say that this trial would all be taken away, it just gave me peace, and I knew that I was going to be okay, no matter what happened.

They finally took me to do the MRI, and it really wasn't too bad. I just closed my eyes the whole time, and it was fine. No claustrophobia here.

Well, I came back to the hospital room, and we waited again for the results. My doctor came in, and told us he had relatively good news. (What does that mean, anyway? Relatively good news? Is it good or bad? I mean, come on.) Anyway, he said I have something called AVM. (I don't remember what it stands for. You can look it up if you want.) But what it is is that I have veins and arteries in my brain that have formed a clump. It started bleeding, which is what caused the headache.

So they sent me home, and on Friday I was scheduled for an angiogram. This is where they go through my femoral artery in my leg and shoot dye into my arteries/veins in my brain so they can see it more clearly.

The part that I was most nervous about was the IV. But I had a great nurse and the IV felt fine. Much better than the first time. They gave me some anti-anxiety drugs and pain killers, and then they cut my artery open. They couldn't put me completely asleep, because when they took the pictures I had to stay completely still.


It took about an hour for the procedure and then I had to stay 2 more hours keeping my leg completely straight so my leg didn't start bleeding or anything. Everything went perfectly.

So now I have an appointment for July 12th to talk with the doctor about what we're going to do to fix it, and I've just been being lazy with a sore leg.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the visits, emails, facebooks, phone calls, and texts. I have some great family and friends in my life. :)

Now I'm feeling great, and my head hasn't bothered me since Wednesday, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
As in the words of Hagrid, "What's comin' will come, an' we'll meet it when it does."

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jen, that's crazy! Sounds a little scary, but sounds like you got through it great :) Hopefully the rest of the procedure goes great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of that! I will keep you in my prayers and fasts....I'm so glad the Lord has helped you so much.

    ReplyDelete