Sunday, January 10, 2010

Student Teaching... dun dun dun

I started student teaching last Monday.

I was really nervous. I was especially nervous that I would have a hard class and a hard teacher.

When I actually got to class... well, let's just say that it was worse than I expected. My teacher didn't even introduce me when I came in, and then when she finally did introduce me, she got my name wrong. I know, I know, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but when I already felt like I wasn't wanted in the classroom, it made me feel crummy.

Well, in the days following things didn't get much better. I felt like I couldn't talk to my teacher, the students in my class didn't like me or care I was even there, and I did not my teacher's teaching style. Oh, and to top it all off, she didn't have any consequences in her classroom. I was just wondering how I was ever going to make it through two months in that classroom.

It's been a week and a half now, and things have gotten a little better...
I still don't like the way the classroom is run, but I can talk to my teacher a little bit better now.
The kids actually know my name... and sometimes even talk to me. :)
I did really great on my first observation... I'm pretty sure I made a good first impression.

I'm still not loving it, and it's really hard, but the important thing is that it is getting better...even though it is only a little bit. I figured out that I am just so used to younger kids who automatically love you the minute you step into the classroom. I think I really love to teach younger grades better, and I'm excited that I get to be able to do that. But, for now, I'll try to have a good attitude, and just hope for the best.

Wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment