Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Years!

Well, first off, Happy New Years everyone! I decided it might be fun if I come up with 9 favorite memories from 2009. So after looking back at pictures throughout the year, here's what I came up with. (Just a note, these aren't in any specific order.)

1. Disneyland
This summer Heidi, Ian, Richie, my Dad, and I took a road trip to Disneyland. We drove all the way to California squished in a Honda Civic, but we made it fun.

We spent 5 days going on Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Soarin' Over California, and Toy Story Mania, meeting a few characters along the way. Love you Woody. :)Oh ya, and don't forget about the glow sticks. You can't go to Disneyland without bringing glow sticks. :)

2. My first experience teaching

Last March was the first time I had ever been in a classroom as a teacher. I was in 2nd grade, and I loved every second of it... well, almost every second of it. :) I remember being terrified, but I had a great class that made me laugh every day, and it made me fall in love with teaching. I didn't have any pictures of me in the classroom, so here's a picture of me and some good friends I made in my classes with our BYU chocolate milk. It helped us get through the day.

3. My first surprise party
I turned 21 this year, and my mom and sister threw me a surprise party. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out surprises, but I had no idea this one was coming. After we went out to dinner, we went back to my house, and it was unusually dark. I turned on the lights, and all of my friends and family jumped out! My mom also asked all of them to give me a children's book for a present, so I got a huge stack of them! It was a really fun birthday that I'll never forget. :)Oh ya, and I had an awesome Harry Potter cake. We can't forget about that.

4. Maine Roadtrip
I had the amazing experience of driving across the country from Utah to Maine with my roommates/cousin this summer. The first day we drove around 14 hours and got to Iowa, and stayed at our dear friend, Jenny's, house. Other stops we made on the way to Maine were Chicago, Pittsburgh, and New Jersey (the only night of the whole 2 week trip we had to stay in a hotel). Once we got to Maine we had a lot of fun eating lobster, going bowling, playing at a lake, going to the beach, losing cameras at lighthouses, and eating peanut butter and fluff sandwiches. I also got to see my roommate open her mission call to Romania. We also went to Boston and visited the temple and some historic sites. It was such a fun vacation that I'll never forget!

5. Friends coming home from missions
This year was the year that my friends stopped leaving on missions, and started coming home. It was fun to see them again and go to all of their homecomings. It's been really fun having them home! Some of my friends that came home were Austin,
Kyle, Eric,Tyler (this picture is from his farewell, I was in California for his homecoming),and Jared (this too, is from his farewell, I just didn't take any pictures at his homecoming).
It's been good having you back!

6. Camping trip in Ephraim
On the 24th of July, my mom, Ian, and I didn't have any real plans. Heidi was at EFY in Ephraim, and we had to pick her up the next day, so my mom randomly suggests that we drive down to Ephraim, and camp out in the car. So, of course, we did it! We grabbed some blankets, pillows, pj's, cards, and a portable gas oven, and hit the road. First, we bought graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate, because you can't go camping without s'mores. Then we just drove until we found a canyon.
As we were trying to find a spot, we drove into someone else's campsite. We thought the road we took would lead us somewhere else, but it was a dead end. So we were trying to turn around, while the family was just staring at us wondering what the heck we were doing. Needless to say, I was mortified. Then, to make matters worse, a man started walking towards our car. I slid down as low as possible into my seat, just hoping he'd turn around. But he just walked right up to our car, asked us if we needed a spot to stay in, and told us we were more than welcome to stay.
So, we parked the car and got out our little stove to start cooking marshmallows on.
Then, again to my embarrassment, the man came up to our car again. I quickly stashed our oven under the blankets, and he asked us if we needed help setting up our tent, and invited us to roast marshmallows on their fire. We explained that we were just going to sleep in our car, and thanked him. After he came over a couple more times to invite us over, we decided to go. We sat around their fire, roasted marshmallows, and got to know the family. We ended up discovering that my mom was best friends with a girl in their family. It's a small world.
After a while, we called in a night, and curled up in the back of the car to go to sleep. It was such a fun trip, and we had a great time. :)

7. Road trip to Idaho
Okay, so, there's no use in hiding it. I like the Jonas Brothers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a crazy, lunatic, psycho girl that follows their every movie. I just like listening to their music. Okay, I admitted it, let's move on.
So my mom and sister went to Girl's Camp in Idaho this year. Lucky coincidence, the Jonas Brothers were doing a concert the day after Girl's Camp ended. So, my mom told us that we could go. But what this meant was that I had to drive to Idaho by myself. I wasn't very nervous, but it was an adventure getting started. First, I had to leave at about 5 in the morning. Well, the night before I stayed at the Bushman's until 1 in the morning... and I hadn't packed yet. So, I packed at about 1:30 in the morning. I woke up and left, while it was still dark outside. Well, as I was driving away from my house, my mom calls and tells me to make sure the tires are okay. So, I pulled over on the side of the road and checked the tires. The rest of the trip went smoothly. I had to get myself a McGriddle to keep me going. My McGriddle and my iPod were the things that carried me through the trip. Well, I made it to Idaho without any troubles... except for getting lost once. My mom, sister and I had a great time going to Twin Falls, Shoshone Falls, going shopping, getting lost, watching Michael Jackson news, eating at Chili's, and, of course, the Jonas Brothers concert.

Oh ya, and I won the lottery.

8. Making a music video
My sister, my cousin, and I wrote a song about the fourth of July. It goes something like this:
Oh my, oh my, it's the fourth of July.
I like the fourth of July.
I like to eat pie.
While the fireworks fly.

Ya. We're good.

Well, 9 years later, we have made a music video of one of our songs. We made it about one of our best songs, "Can You See the Ketchup Stain?" written about a true story. After about 2 hours of filming, and 5 hours of editing (with a pizza break somewhere in there) this is the final product.







9. St. George Trip

My mom, Heidi, Ian, and I went to St. George this summer to see one of our favorite plays, Aida, and hike Zion's.


As always, we had a lot of fun, small adventures on the way. For example, we went to Chili's and didn't finish our food, but we were going to Aida right after, and since it was a bazillion degrees outside, our food would go bad. So, we asked for another container, downed our lemonade, and filled it with ice as an impromptu cooler. And yes, it did keep our food cold.

We also had a free continental breakfast from our hotel. Now, one valuable thing I have learned in life is that continental breakfast does not always mean the same thing. Sometimes it means all you can eat waffles, sausage, and cranberry juice, while other times... well, it means juice and a biscuit.

2009 was a fantastic year, and I can't wait to see what new adventures come in 2010! Cheerio darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment